Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Day 5

June 1st 2011. I planned on sleeping in today but woke up at about 7:30 anyway. I started the day off with a few cups of coffee and breakfast. I made 2 eggs and a piece of toast. After that I went out to spread the soil Lee set for the garden and raked it smooth. Its tough raking compost style soil because there is a lot of roots, sticks, and rocks in it to pull out. It took me about 2 hours just to smooth over the 100sq ft area. The other day we roadatilled the soil. After that I went and filled up the horse trough with water. Lee says that they drink about 5 gallons a day when its this warm so we need to keep an eye on it. It appeared to have about 10 gallons missing. He has two horses for breeding, I think, in the front of the barn. The other 20 are roaming around the pasture in the back. I haven't been around a horse in 15 years so I wasn't too sure what to expect. I wanted to feed them or try to pet them. I saw both of them about 20 yards out eating their grass as they do almost all day long, so I bent down and pulled out some grass from the ground. They heard the grass rip from t he ground and came running to me. I fed both of the horses' grass and they let me pet them.
I can't remember any other day in my life where I didn't see another person. It's a nice feeling to not be rushed or bothered at all for any reason. The only words I spoke today were to the horses' lol. I thought about watching a movie on my phone (Only have 4; Fight Club, True Grit, The Mechanic, and Little Fockers) but I decided to just roam around and check out the land. There's no TV here and the internet is dial up so I'm gonna save my movies for a rainy day. I walked about a mile up the road to where Lee keeps his old vehicles (He calls the bone yard) and kinda checked em out (Picture Below). There was a ton of hornets around them so I didn’t get too close lol.

Out back that far I see a lot of moose droppings. I've seen a couple out here but both were over a 100 yards from me. I probably wouldn’t want to get much closer without some protection anyway. I decided to take the long way back and head towards the east end fence line. Down there is a road about 500 feet long that is just surrounded by trees which leads north straight to my bunkhouse. Walking through I saw a rabbit and a bunch of birds that looked like they were playing tag. When I got to the end of the road I saw two ravens flying over head. I read in a book once that raven couples fly together with the male over the female. They looked like they were having fun just flying around. I watched them for a good 5 minutes, they appeared to just be floating in the wind because they weren't flapping their wings. They weren't going anywhere either, just flying around in circles together. Today was an easy day though, usually the work is pretty hard. Its good work though and feels good to get done. I'm sure tomorrow I will be getting some good hard work in to write about.

No comments:

Post a Comment