Thursday, June 2, 2011

Day 6

June 2nd 2011. Today was a good day. Lee and I hadn't really had a set time to start our days yet so I had to guess on a time to wake up this morning. Lee was gone all day yesterday driving to Anchorage and back so I didn't see him. I set my alarm for 7:00am but woke up once again to Mud (Lee's dog) licking me in the face. Lee started the coffee and his normal grumpy morning right away lol. I guess he's just not a morning person. I skipped breakfast and just kind of kept away hoping he'd realize he was making me uncomfortable by acting grumpy. We talked about setting up a time to start the morning so that he doesn't have to wait so long for his coffee in the morning lol. It takes us about 30 minutes just to get a cup of coffee the way we make it. Well, now that we got that straightened out we'll see how tomorrow morning goes.
Hey I got that grass dug up today after lunch…it looks good, Lee was real happy about it. Although he never says "Good Job" or "Thank you", I can tell he was happy with it. Lee's kind of stereotypical in a way he almost intentionally tries to make you view him as. He's a tough cowboy who does things perfect and shows no sign of weakness. He kind of reminds me of my grandpa Jack, they share a lot of the same characteristics.

Well anyway below is the after shot of the flowerbed I prepared. After digging all the roots, rocks, and grasses out, I mixed in some compost soil to make it more nutritious for the flowers.


This work is very physical and difficult. I like it a lot and can appreciate what I'm doing so that makes it more rewarding. Not that the work lacks any reward already, this is just a very unique way to go about things. Although it was more common in the past to be more self sufficient, now a days we all rely too much on the system for things we are capable of creating ourselves. Back in the day this is how we all lived. We were more natural, capable, confident, and willing to live our lives. When you get caught up in the city life you tend to neglect yourself a lot. More than you can even probably notice. We counteract that neglecting with movies, smoking, drinking, and random ways of self-fulfillment. We just don’t take care of ourselves, and we know it. Why else do we do things to make us feel better even though we knew they were bad for us (Drugs Etc…)? It's not very complicated, we are trying to fill that mental void we left behind back in the old days with fake things. Its not working, people are going to the doctor for "depression", starving just to fit in a bathing suit, doing things just to be trendy…all just because we lack the self-awareness necessary to live organically. I even know people who do things just to oppose the organic way then say "This is how a man does it" or "This is how a lady does it". I'm not criticizing, just being observant. This is just my point of view, it may be extreme, but I know theirs truth in it. If you think about any time you were unhappy, for any reason, you can think, "In hindsight I could have done this a different way". And you think that that way would have prevented this unhappy feeling. I think a lot of this just has to do with getting what we earn, or receiving what we deserve. I can go to a pizza joint and most likely walk out thinking about how bad that was for me. But if I were to make the dough, grow the tomatoes, make the sauce, make cheese from my cows etc…I bet I'd just feel proud. I think my main goal is to get a taste of this innovative life out here in Alaska and learn how to be self-sufficient. I literally feel like I'm sweating out bad habits with all this hard work. I miss my family and friends, but right now, I wouldn't trade this for anything…Bloggings is fun too lol :D Goodnight From Delta Junction AK !!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment